In this technically advanced world of computers and internet, paper resumes have become a thing of past. Moreover, you can create your own personal resume website to make yourself reachable for employers all around the globe. A resume website is a medium through which you can display your qualifications, experiences and skills on each and every computer connected to the internet.
From online shopping to bogging, each and every one is using the World Wide Web to diversify the spectrum of viewers and make themselves famous throughout the world. Job seekers are not out of this crowd. A personal resume website is used to popularize your skills and professional experience and make your resume reachable and accessible to perspective employers. While writing a resume you need to be specific and brief while detailing your skills but a personal resume website gives you freedom to discuss it with unlimited virtual space.
Building your portfolio is easier than creating a resume and carrying a printout every time you visit an employee for an interview. However, some of the human resource experts believe that traditional resumes printed on a piece of paper still plays the primary role. A resume website can only be used as a support to the paper resume to provide detailed information about your skills. The hiring manager may not give more than few seconds looking at your resume. So, if you email them a link to your personal resume website, without attaching your resume, it is not going to benefit you anyway. Possibly the recruiter may not have enough time to check out your link. Therefore, a personal resume website cannot be considered as the primary medium of presenting your resume to the recruiter.
Tips on Personal Resume Website
1. As your website is viewable by anyone using the internet, you need to take some security steps to keep yourself safe. Avoid providing any personal detail on a resume website that can be used to harm you. If you are providing your contact information, make sure you have a separate email account and phone number for this purpose.
2. Simplicity is something that attracts the readers and keeps them on your page. Complicated display may make them confused. While creating your homepage make sure that you categorize your skills and experiences and link them to pages that details about those skills of you. Avoid using large size pictures and graphics on your web page as it may take more time to load.
3. When designing your personal resume website, try to be professional. Remember that this is not a website meant for any business purpose. So, keep it formal and give it a professional look. The background should not contain irrelevant pictures or graphics. Avoid using unnecessary tabs.
4. Obviously, the purpose of creating a resume website is to attract the perspective employers to it. In order to determine your success in this motive, you need to keep track of your visitors. There are many tools available which you can use to keep yourself updated about the recruiters viewing your website.
5. As discussed earlier, your resume website falls secondary to your paper resume. Both of them should inter relate to each other. If you have any external link to support your achievement mentioned on your resume website, you can provide links to those web pages.
Hope these tips help you create your personal resume website in a better way.